In the last two decades, viral vector-based therapies are gaining increasing attention as a promising strategy for cancer treatment. Studies in this field have explored the administration of viral vectors as agents for therapeutic vaccines, gene therapy and more recently as oncolytic therapeutics.
Therapeutic resistance has been studied as a mechanism that allows the therapeutic-target to escape and evolve against the treatment, for example in the context of antibiotic resistance by pathogenic bacteria and resistance by tumors towards radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or immunotherapy.
Immunoglobulins & Unfolded Protein Response
B cells orchestrate pro‐survival and pro‐apoptotic inputs to translate, fold, sort, secrete and recycle immunoglobulins. In patients with common variable immunodeficiency, activated B cells are predisposed to an overload of abnormally processed, misfolded immunoglobulins. We studied how an early and robust decrease of the unfolded protein response (UPR) in patient cells compared to the healthy control correlates with the disease phenotype. Read more.
The International Genetically Engineered Machine (iGEM) Foundation is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of synthetic biology, education and competition, and the development of an open community and collaboration. Find my contributions here.
For everyone curious in the microscopic world, have a look here.
Publications by year
- Resistance Mechanisms Influencing Oncolytic Virotherapy, a Systematic Analysis. Bhatt DK, Chammas R, Daemen T. 2021, Vaccines, 9, 1166.
- A systematic analysis on the clinical safety and efficacy of Onco-Virotherapy. DK Bhatt, L Wekema, LRC Barros, R Chammas, T Daemen. 2020, MolTher. Oncolytics
- Tumor-derived extracellular vesicles: modulation of cellular functional dynamics in tumor microenvironment and its clinical implications. NL Santos, SO Bustos, DK Bhatt, R Chammas, LNS Andrade Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, 2391
- Comparative analysis of three studies measuring fluorescence from engineered bacterial genetic constructs. Beal J, Baldwin GS, Farny NG, Gershater M, Haddock-Angelli T, et al. and iGEM Interlab Study Contributors (2021), PLOS ONE 16(6): e0252263.
- Therapeutic Vaccines and Cancer Immunotherapy. Bhatt D, Daemen T. 2020, Vaccines (Basel);8(4):E596.
- Cellular Adaptation Relies on Regulatory Proteins Having Episodic Memory: Proteins Modulate Cell Metabolism and Reproduction by Remembering, Transmitting, and Using Data on the Environment. Stan RC, Bhatt DK, de Camargo MM. 2020. Bioessays 42: e1900115
- Chemical chaperones reverse early suppression of regulatory circuits during unfolded protein response in B cells from common variable immunodeficiency patients. Bhatt D, Stan RC, Pinhata R, Machado M, et al. 2020. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 200: 73–86.
- Robust Estimation of Bacterial Cell Count from Optical Density. Beal J, Farny NG, Haddock-Angelli T, Selvarajah V, et al. and iGEM Interlab Study Contributors. 2020, Nat.Comm.Bio.